Thursday, February 3, 2011

Week 2 in Ireland

Week two is winding down so I thought I would post some pictures of my tour I went on.  It was called The Wild Wicklow Tour.  The tour takes you a little south of Dublin into their mountains (they are really more like hills but mountains to them).  We drove through some of the cutest little towns! One of which was a main spot for the filming of Leap Year the movie.  I haven't seen it but definitely plan on it now :o).  We drove out the the Sally Gap which is where they film a lot of movies such as P.S. I Love You (one of my favorites), Excalibur, Bravehart, Far and Away and the new movie coming out called Camelot.  Of course those are highlights for me but the scenery was amazing!

This was one of our first stops in South Dublin called Forty Foot Beach...Here people swim all times of the year and say it helps promote good health (because the water is so cold!)

The only people I noticed swimming were elderly people...oh how brave but if you look a little closer, the gentleman standing there with his swimming cap on, yep he was swimming in the nude.  WOW!

A brave soul swimming in the freezing ocean.

This is on the drive up to Sally Gap.

All of the brown you see on the hills is heather and is purple in the summer months...

They call this, a pint of Guinness because the water is as dark as a pint of Guinness.  The Irish sure love their beer.

Many films (as mentioned before) were filmed in this location and at the top of the "mountain".

To the left there is a little view of a lake...that is the lake in P.S. I Love You where the girls are paddling out and get stuck in the rain.  If you have seen the movie you know what I'm talking about :o).

The wind was so insane up at the top there...I guess it is a tradition (as least for the touring company) to take a shot of Jameson Whiskey up there (I opted out of course) but the wind were so strong it was blowing the whiskey out of everyones little plastic shot glasses...pretty strong.

Such a great view!

The Upper Lake in Glendalough

There are many many sheep in Ireland and they mark the sheep with colors to know whose sheep and which ones are pregnant.

The tower in the distance is a monk bell tower...and it was a warning post as well to see if there were any invaders approaching.

The tower a little closer

The actual door is four feet from the ground...there are many around the area and all have the doors four feet from the ground.  I can't remember why that is so - sorry for leaving ya hanging there.


The rain was rolling in...

2 comments:

  1. You make me want to visit Ireland! Especially in the summer so I can see those purple hills and no cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Myriam, The pictures you took look like postcards! The color is beautiful and the scenes perfect! Is Gary jealous that he can't go with you? Poor fellow, he's missing it all. He just works, and works, and works. Paris will be a very nice trip. One more week! I'm so glad you got to go. Love to you both, Mom

    ReplyDelete